The Colour Collaborative: June



 
In The Beginning...

What do you say when someone asks you to take part in a bloggy project that's going to be all about colour?   You say 'yes please!'  Well, that was certainly my reaction.  

But then you start thinking about colour and wondering just what you might know about it and what it means to you.  I love having colour in my life and I love crafting with colour and I realised that what it amounts to is this:  Colour makes me happy.


Thinking about it, I remember when I first had this thought and, at the time, it was like an epiphany.

It was many years ago, when I was working in quite a pleasant but drab office.  The word to describe it was bland.  It had cream walls, grey blinds, beige computers on beige desks.  Day in and day out I got up and dressed in bland clothes, and went to work in a dull and listless way.  The job was not very interesting, the surroundings less so and I realised I had started to blend in with them both.

Then for some reason, and maybe there was a spark to ignite this thought, if there was I don't remember it,  but for some reason it occurred to me that I could wear a different colour, I could wear lots of different colours.  I didn't have to wear black and white and grey every day.  There was no dress code where I worked, no uniform, no customers saw me, I met no clients.  In fact, I had quite a free reign to dress as I chose.  Not perhaps a mini skirt and boob-tube but still, there was plenty of scope to make some more interesting choices.

I swear to you, that simple thought was like a light bulb pinging on in head.  'Of course', I thought, 'how could I have been so blind?'  This was (at least) part of why I felt so fed up.  I was sick of bland, I wanted vibrancy in my life again.  It really was as straight forward as that.  Beautiful colours equal a happy Sandra.

Now, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with white, black or grey, or even beige.  All colours have their place and I love them all.  Some, more sophisticated folk than me, can use them to exquisite effect and I envy them for it.  But for me, colourful is key.  I remember as a child wanting to own a stationary shop when I grew up.  Being able to keep stocks of all those colourful paints, pens, pencils and paper... what bliss that would be.  Of course, now it would have to be a stationary and a yarn shop, but the vision is the same... racks and racks of glorious colour.

So, I hope you'll join me and my clever and talented collaborators as we explore colour...


What is The Colour Collaborative?


All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when they work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. Starting small, with just five members for now, we'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways. We're excited by where this might take us, click on the logos below to find out!







S x





My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. Loving seeing this crop up in my side bar and looking forward to seeing it develop...I wish had more of a colour palate... I'm a bit random and magpie like really - I'd really like things to look a bit more put together.
    www.blackberryandcrumble.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, what a lovely post. I feel like I totally get why you love colour so much! And your collage is delightful and represents what I imagine to be the different facets of your life: crochet, flowers, fabric, cooking etc. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous collage Sandra, I love the way you have made it bright and colourful yet soft and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say the brighter colours need the white, grey, black and beige as a backdrop, even though I've listed white and grey as my favourite colours I still want bright accents, I wouldn't want to live in a world that was only neutral, you're right, that wouldn't be a happy place at all.

    Sue's right about the collage, it's a subtle rainbow, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mosaic. I love them for the fact that they distill the colours surrounding us in our lives at that particular time. And I think I'm with you on the colourFUL thing. I know I'm feeling a bit blah when I select drab clothes to wear - it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love color...so I will certainly be enjoying these posts. Will check the others too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your projects and designs seem to have a wonderful variety of vibrant colours, at least now we know why. XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great topic, which will prove interesting and useful for all areas of craft!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, and it really struck home to me. I love colour too and try to (mostly) wear colour and love colour in the home. I am looking forward to seeing more on this from your group. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandra,What a lovely project!!!Hope you have a happy fun filled and colorful weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post, colour does indeed effect our mood. I never wear black, grey or beige am always wearing colourful clothes for work. It makes me feel better and I'm sure it helps the patients feel better too ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting how we all have our favourite colours and I prefer pastels and medium tones to very dark. I don't like black at all or even very dark brown! I like your mosaic above and especially like the apples: yellow with red stripes. I can even smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting post Sandra, thank you! I absolutely love colour - it's my all-over-therapy - it makes my heart sing and flutter! Looking forward to seeing more!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete